His first lyrics is supposed to be for the movie bandini – “mora gora ang lei ley..mohe shaam rang dai de.. chup jaaongi raat hi mein”. Indeed…gulzar has travelled a long distance, as a lyricist, a writer, a director! Some of my favorites in gulzar’s lyrics are:-
1. Tujhse naaraaz nahin zindagi:- Just the other day I was talkin’ about this song with Sushma. (That is what inspired me to write about Gulzar saab). What a wonderful song! That explains the travails of a person – the joys and sorrows he is undergoing in recollection of his past, who’s fruits are right now in front of him.
Aankh agar bhar aaye toh
boonde chalak jaayengi
kal kyaa pata inke liye
aankhein taras jaayengi
jaane kahan gum hua kahaan khOya
Ek aansu chupa ke rakkhaa thaa!
2. Tere bina zindagi se koyi:- From the movie Aandhi ! Gosh! What a movie! What songs!! I mean..each one of the songs have a tale of its own! I could just write blogs together on each song and the emotions in them. In this particular song, Lata and Kishore Kumar have given such a startling performance! The opening lines itself are so magnificient!
Tere bina zindagi se koyi shikwa toh nahin
tere bina zindagi bhi lekin zindagi toh nahin… zindagi nahin.. *deep sighs*
3. Yaara sili sili birha ki:- Lata Mangeshkar couldn’t have been more haunting! Gosh.. the distant sounding song.. as if beckonin’ to someone unknown, a deep agony, so well rendered! And the words, just pierce like arrows deep into the fathoms of the heart. This won him the film fare award for best lyrics.. .any wonder?
pairon mein na saaya koi sar pe na saayi rE!
mere saath jaaye na meri parchaayi rE!
baahar ujaaDaa hai.. andar veeraana …!!
4. Aanewala pal jaanewala hai:- A Classic movie! A Classic song! Need say more! Nobody could remain oblivious to this song from the wonderful movie Golmaal. As much as the movie has me in splits each time I watch it, so also does this song makes me lose myself!
Ek baar waqt se lamha gira kahin
wahan daastaan mili lamha kahin nahin
thoda sa hasaan ke thoda sa rulaake
pal ye bhi jaane wala hai Oho!!!
5. Qatra Qatra milti hai:- Another classic movie! Each song of the movie is a gem! Qatra Qatra milti hai, Mera kuchh saamaan, Khaali haath shaam aayi hai khaali haath jaayegi!!! Am speechless!!! Asha Bhonsle has done magic in these songs! A sheer brillance of words and vocals!
6. Sili hawa chu gayi:- From libaas! Everytime I listened to this song, I keep wondering at the multitude meanings it has vested in its depths.
Jitne bhi tai karte gaye, badhte gaye yeh faasle
Milon se din chhod aaye, saalon se raat leke chale
7. Dil hum hum kare:- Rudaali!! Wonderful! Glorious! Haunting! Magical! Absolutely Great!!!
Jis tan ko chua tu ne us tan koh chupaaun
Jis man ko lage raina woh kisko dikhaaon!!
O! mori chandramaa teri chandani ang jalaaye
teri unchi ataari maine pankh liye katwaaye
8. Pani Pani re:- Maachis! A movie in his direction, that won him the filmfare award for best story! Each song is lilting and dipped in his vast repertoire of words! Apart from the song that I have quote now, the other song of my liking is “chod aaye hum woh galiyan” – raft with the thoughts of a long left love!!
jahaan teri edi se dhoop uda karti thi
suna hai us chaukhat pe ab shaam raha karti hai
Well some of my other all time favos by gulzar.. are :
woh shaam kucch ajeeb thi – Khamoshi by KK
becaara dil kya kare – Khushboo by Asha Bhonsle
Musaafir hoon yaaron – Parichay by KK
Maine tere liye hi – Anand sung by Mukesh
Hum ko man ki shakti – Guddi by Vani Jayaram
Chadi re Chadi and Dil dhoondta hai phir wohi – Mausam by Mohd. Rafi, lata, Bhupinder
Thoda hai thode ki zaroorat hai – Khatta meetha sung by Lata and KK
Naam gum jaayega – Kinaara by Lata and Bhupinder (A song probably written for Lata)
sun sun sun didi – Superb singing and wonderful song! movie:- Khoobsurat and sung by Asha
Surmayi ankhiyon mein – There was a time when I wudn’t sleep without listening to this song! from the wonderful Sadma! by K J Yesudas!
The list is really long… but its time to stop…